уторак, 8. март 2011.

Literacy narrative

I don't remember learning how to read. I do remember going through the town and trying to understand what the inscriptions on the ads and posters were saying and asking my mother to read them for me.
Unlike my brother, i always liked going to school, it was something that suited me just fine. I liked doing homework and writing neatly in my notebooks. Reading is also something that I liked and still do. When I was young I would get childrens books from my aunt and I remember having a book with Andersen's tales.
I did always read the "must read" books for school but I rarely enjoyed it. The first book I read for my own consideration was "Little Women" by Louisa M. Alcott which I enjoyed very much and after finishing it I read the sequels as well.
But there was one particular book that I just couldn't put down. I think I was in my third or fourth grade of primary school when I rent that book from the public library and I started reading it the moment I came back home. The book was about this eleven year old boy who discovered he is a wizard and he has to go to a school of wizardry where he will learn how to cast spells, make potions... I was reading the book but I had school in the morning so my mother kept coming into my room to tell me to go to sleep. Eventually, I did turn of the lights but, I had a little keychain battery lamp which I used to read the book further on. I actually remeber reading the chapter "Potions master" which was about this evil-looking professor with dark cloak and greasy hair. Even though I stayed up late and was very sleepy the next day, I have to say that reading the book so late through the night was worth it. Later on, I actually bought all the books so that I have them in my personal library and that I can read them whenever I want.

I love reading because it is a way of escaping from the real world. What amazes me, is that when you are reading a book you can actually start loving those characters, you can laugh or cry and what is even more important you can see everything through your imagination, you don't need an actual picture or video, its all in your mind.

3 коментара:

  1. A personal insight into what reading is like and how it began, also I like how she fell in love with a series of books. This narrative shows just how much impact reading had on her. From beginning to end, this story follows a good line of thoughts and it is pretty understandable what she meant to say. Although, there is not a great deal of details and their description, but still vivid enough to see what she was trying to portray.
    I believe reading is an art, and appreciating it buy buying more and more books for a personal library is a grand idea, this also shows that she is committed and a respectful reader. I especially love her ending about seeing everything with your mind, I am a firm believer of this notion also. A book is a book, and no movie can be better than that.

    ОдговориИзбриши
  2. The narrative very much reflects the subject it deals with - it reveals the basics, and keeps the details a secret which the reader must discover for himself. What letters around town? Which books did the author not like? Which book is it that drew her attention so badly that she stayed up all night?
    I find this mysterious side of the story childishly adorable, and wish that there was more of it to read.
    As for the technical side of the story, my corrections are scarce. Except for the few spelling/grammar mistakes that always find their way into a piece of writing, the author managed to write a well-structured story which makes a wonderful point - that reading is not only fun, but that it provides the much needed brain exercise which has been neglected in the past decades with the popularization of the internet and TV.

    ОдговориИзбриши
  3. As another Louisa M. Alcott fan, it is easy for me to really like this little narrative! And what's not to like? The organization of it is particularly well done, and although I would have enjoyed more details and examples, this was a really good read!

    The only thing that I think could have vastly improved the general impression has to do with proof-reading the article and getting rid of those naughty little pests like misspellings and the like. There were not MANY of them, though.

    Knowing Sofija personally, I am particularly interested in the implication she (subconsciously, I guess) makes in the beginning of the text, where she somehow connects reading with school work. Does she see it as a chore? Judging by the rest of the text, probably not. Does she see reading as crucial to one's education? I think I'm on the right track with that one.

    ОдговориИзбриши