среда, 16. март 2011.

Creative practice

Since we live in a consumer society we are being bombarded with advertisements every day, or should I say every hour of every day. Internet, television, radio, billboards, posters, fliers - where does it end?
I  almost always have my TV on, even when I'm getting ready to leave the house there is something playing in the background. I usually find a show like CSI or something to watch while getting ready but the moment the commercials start I change the channel to VH1 which plays only music. So I change the channel to avoid commercials but when I leave my appartment and go downstairs what do I find? My mailbox filled with ads. Pizzeria, beauty parlor, "learn Enlish in 20 days" all shoved to my mailbox and what do I do, throw them in the trash of course.
I am on my way to my grandmother's place and I have to go past the Synagogue where there are posters informing the public about the future concerts and happenings. I look if there is anything interesing for me and continue my route. As I go down the street, on my left side there are clothing stores which have inscriptions about sales in their windows, fast food restaurants and bakeries which have inscriptions about what they have to offer. On my right side there are trees and lampposts on which various ads are attached. You can see ads for cheap maths lessons, transportation to a concert, rooms for rent during EXIT festival (even though it was more then a year ago)...
As I go along the boulevard I can see billboards promoting Carnex, McDonald's, Mango, Zara... Of course there are also posters glued on the walls which promote various parties in the clubs. When I finally get to the building where my grandmother lives what do I see? Her mailbox stuffed with flyers and the Idea catalogue. Luckily someone put a trash bin right beside the elevatore so that I can throw that trash there. As I enter the elevator I see other advertisements on the walls, most of them are about cheap repairs with huge letters saying "dolazim po pozivu!". However, there is one ad that I find most interesing, its about food delivery but for some reason there are big letters saying "cuvajmo nase liftove!". As I enter my grandmother's appartment I, of course, hear commercials from the TV.
It is impossible to avoid commercials nowadays. Even as we walk down a street there is usually someone there who will shove a flyer in our hands whether we like it or not. As if it's not enough that we have to watch commercials at home, get ads from our maliboxes but now we actually get them pushed in our hands just so that we don't miss getting informed about a sale, cheap lessons or other trivial matter.

Нема коментара:

Постави коментар